Pages

Monday, 1 October 2012

braided headband pattern!




Ok so the materials that you will need for this headband are:
  • size 17 (13mm) needles
  • one (or two) balls of super bulky weight yarn (category 6)
  • cable stitch holder (I actually use a double pointed needle, really you can use anything straight maybe a pen! whatever you have lying around)
For this pattern you'll be holding 2 strands of yarn together to get a bulkier feel, you can take both strands from the same ball of yarn, one that is easy to get on the outside, and one that might be harder to get from the inside of the ball. If you can't easily get the piece of yarn from the inside then you can either divide the ball of yarn that you have in half by rolling it, or you can use 2 different balls of yarn. 

Cast on 11 stitches
Row 1: knit all stitches
Row 2: k1, p9, k1
Row 3: k1, slide 3 stitches onto double pointed needle & bring to back, k3, knit 3 from back, knit remaining stitches
Row 4: k1, p9, k1
Row 5: k4, slide 3 stitches onto double pointed needle & bring to front, k3, knit 3 from front, knit remaining stitch
Row 6: k1, p9, k1 
Repeat rows 3-6 until it measures nicely around your head. It will stretch out a bit so it's ok to make it tight. It's ALSO ok for in the even rows, if you forget to knit the first and last stitches to just keep with the purl. It won't take anything away from the final product it will just be a little bit less wide. Having the consistent knit stitches on the ends makes it a little bit flatter, it's my preferred way but I have made it the other way too :)! 
When it's a good length cast off leaving a long tail to sew the ends in together. 
Now put it on and wear it around town!
xxxx

edit: I've seen that a lot of people have been using this pattern! Awesome! I'm so happy to see that! I would LOVE to see your photos of the final product!!!! Send to scarfffaces@gmail.com Thanks! :)

14 comments:

  1. I love this. My extrmely long hair is always up in a bun. Hats don't work and scarves thrown over my head always let in cold air to my ears. I am trying this. My only trepidation is I've always been scared of cables and this seems to read like they do. I'm going to give it my best shot though. I have some yummy silk/wool yarn i've been saving up for making something for the top of my head, or should I say around my ears. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! :) Do not worry about the cable! I promise you it's easy!!!!! I always use a double pointed needle for the "cable" part and it's super easy. Try it out. If you have any questions I'm happy to help.

      Delete
  2. I don't understand what you mean in steps 3 and 5 when you say slide 3 off and bring to back and then knit 3 and knit 3 from the back . I am using a circular needle with a cable on it . PLEASE HELP !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alexa! Thanks for your comment,

    ok so you want to slide the 3 stitches off and put them onto your cable needle, knit the next three stitches in front of the cable needle, and then knit the 3 stitches that are on your cable needle (which were held behind).

    You do the same thing for step 5 but bring the cable needle in front of the other stitches rather than behind...

    Let me know if that makes sense!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry I still don't understand . Are you taking those 3 stitches and putting them on the opposite needle and then pulling them over the first stitch or taking them off completely and kniting them back on when you are don't the remainder of the stitches !?

      Delete
    2. For step 3, knit the first stitch, move the next 3 stitches onto your cable needle and hold it behind your project, knit the next 3 stitches on your left needle normally, and then knit the 3 stitches from your cable needle, now knit the last 4 stitches on the left needle and purl the next row.

      Delete
    3. Oh, I think I get what is confusing Alexa! She is using a circular needle that is connected with a "cable", not realizing that a "cable needle" is a tool used to make a cable stitch.

      Delete
  4. I have only knitted very simple things as I am really a crocheter! I took classes in tunisian crochet this summer and we learned to do a cable stitch in it. This seems very simple and I am anxious to give it a try. Thank you for your instructions. I do wonder if I can use thinner yarn and maybe use 3 skeins instead of 2. I guess I'll just try and see what it looks like! Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes definitely play around with it! As long as your yarn matches your needles you should be fine. I sometimes mix in one thinner yarn with 2 thicker ones and it gives a really nice look. Let me know how yours turns out!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing this pattern. Can you tell me how long yours measure?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I measure it to my own head every time I make one by stretching it out to see if it will fit tightly. Since I use a yarn that has a bit of stretch I know that it will stretch a bit anyway as people wear it so it should be tight at first. I just checked on an extra headband I had lying around and it was about 16 inches without being stretched... Hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much! I noticed you are also wearing a cute hat in your two toned T pattern. Is that one you also made and will you be sharing that pattern?

      Delete
  6. I can't wait to knit this headband for friends! Do you have a pattern for the scarf you are wearing?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this with some jumbo chunky yarn it came out awesome! Thanks for the pattern now all my northern friends & family want one lol.how do I send you a pic of my finished product?

    ReplyDelete